Case #4 – Low Energy, Migraine Headaches, Low Thyroid
- 58 yr old female
- Sleep difficulties for the past 3 ½ yrs.
- Hard time falling asleep and staying asleep; also has some night sweats.
- Went through a period of major stress 4 years ago.
- Hypothyroidism – her TSH levels have been up and down for years.
- She has been taking Synthroid since 1987, the year after her youngest son was born.
- High blood pressure for 30 years, controlled by medications.
- Frequent migraine headaches.
- Allergies to nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant), soy; gets allergy shots every 3 weeks.
- Medications: synthroid, pantoprazole, reactine, domperidone, coversyl plus HD, crestor, amlodipine, aspirin, amitriptyline.
- Supplements: calcium, magnesium, zinc, B6, B12, vitamin D, fish oil, multivitamin (all are self-prescribed).
What we found:
- Laboratory testing:
- Vitamin D 108 (optimal 125-250).
- Fasting glucose 6.4 (normal 3.3-6.0).
- Triglycerides 2.04 (normal is under 1.71).
- HDLcholesterol 0.95 (normal is above 1.29).
- hs-CRP 1.4 (normal is under 1.0).
- TSH 7.60 (optimal is 0.3-3.0).
- B12 458 (optimal is above 600).
- Ferritin 21 (optimal is 40-70).
- Hemoglobin A1C 0.064 (normal 0.040-0.060)
- Suspected adrenal – thyroid – pituitary imbalances.
- Insulin resistance and metabolic syndrome.
- Primary hypothyroidism with suspected thyroid resistance as well.
- Suspected systemic inflammation.
- Iron deficiency.
- Vitamin B12 deficiency.
- Suspected hidden food allergies.
- BMI 32.3 (optimal is under 25). Body fat 38.8% (optimal is 20-23%).
What we recommended:
- Magnesium (increased dosage);
- Vitamin D (increased dosage);
- Digestive enzymes;
- Herbal support for adrenal and thyroid function;
- Multivitamin with added blood sugar supportive nutrients;
- Anti-inflammatory spices – ginger and turmeric;
- Avoid suspected food allergies.
What the patient actually did:
- This patient followed all of our recommendations and also started eating healthier and exercising.
- After 2 months:
- Energy better;
- Feeling more awake;
- Moods are greatly improved.
- After 4 months:
- Energy rated 6 out of 10 (10 is the most energy);
- Having no more migraine headaches.
- TSH went from 7.60 to 0.69 (optimal is 0.3-3.0) (perfect!)
- Triglycerides went from 2.04 to 1.60 (normal is under 1.71) (perfect!)
- HDL cholesterol went from 0.95 to 1.02 (normal is over 1.29)
- Fasting glucose went from 6.4 to 5.3 (normal 3.3-6.0) (perfect!)
- After 6 months:
- Energy rated 8 out of 10 (10 is the most energy);
- Still having no migraine headaches.
- After 8 months:
- Energy absolutely great;
- Sleeping very well;
- Patient is ecstatic about her progress, but is not quite ready to work on the high blood pressure.