Case #6 – Twitchy Eyes; Low Thyroid; Fatigue; Poor Memory
- 40 year old female.
- Twitchy eyelids – everyday they twitch, lasting 1-2 hours, for 2 years now.
- Low thyroid – this was diagnosed as sub-clinical hypothyroidism by her family doctor at her yearly checkup; TSH = 7.15 (optimal is under 3).
- Fatigue – she rates her energy 4-6 out of 10 (10 being the highest energy); she has been burning the candle at both ends for 2 years and rates her stress at 8-9 out of 10 (10 being the worst stress); she never exercises.
- Poor memory – having a hard time finding her words (this is obvious during our interview); poor concentration; is easily distracted.
- Otherwise feels relatively healthy.
What we found:
- Magnesium levels = normal.
- RBC magnesium levels = 1.46 (normal levels 1.70-2.70).
- Essential Fatty acids:
- Whole blood omega-3 score = 2.8 (optimal levels 6.15-10.2).
- Omega-3 index = 4.1 (optimal levels 8 or higher).
- AA/EPA ratio = 35.9 (optimal levels 1.5-4.5).
- Spinal misalignment at T9-11 (these nerve levels supply the adrenals, kidneys, and intestines).
- We also suspected cortisol imbalance from stress was contributing to her low thyroid state.
What we recommended:
- Adrenal support (licorice and ashwagandha);
- Thyroid support (for nourishing the thyroid itself and conversion of T4 to T3 outside of the thyroid);
- Magnesium glycinate;
- Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil);
- Spinal adjustments once monthly;
- Exercise 30 minutes at least 3 time weekly;
- Remove coffee and caffeine from diet;
- Anti-inflammatory diet.
What the patient actually did:
- This patient followed all our recommendations.
- Within 2 weeks the twitching eyelids stopped.
- At 4 months:
- TSH = 5.37 (normal levels 0.35-5.00);
- Spinal adjustments are holding.
- At 6 months:
- TSH = 4.39 (normal levels 0.35-5.00). This patient no longer considered hypothyroid in the medical sense, but still has not achieved optimal TSH status of 0.3-3.0 recommended by the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists.
- Energy 8-9 out of 10 (10 being the highest energy).
- Memory, concentration, and focus much better.
- Her friends and co-workers have commented that her skin is glowing.
- Spine in good alignment.
- Essential Fatty acid levels = pending.
- RBC magnesium levels = pending.